Sonshine’s Adopt-a-Suite program allows you, your organization, or your community group to become the sponsor of one of 24 apartments that Sonshine Centre offers to women and children fleeing domestic violence.These one- or two-bedroom apartments house women with or without children for up to 12 months. When you Adopt-a-Suite, you do more than ensure a place for these families to live – you create a welcoming and safe space they can call home.
Each apartment is furnished and stocked with necessities, from linen to small appliances and décor. Some items, such as towels and bedding, are replaced with each move, while other items, such as sofas and mattresses, are regularly maintained and only eventually replaced to guarantee safety, cleanliness, and comfort for all.
Sonshine offers two ways to be involved:
Your donation will be directed toward the maintenance, furnishing, and overall upkeep of a one- or two-bedroom suite. Your commitment can be for one, two, or three years, and allows you to:
- Have prominent naming outside the suite for the length of your sponsorship.
- Receive a yearly report on the status of the apartment you adopted.
- Churches, groups, and organizations can have special recognition in our Annual Report, unless they choose to remain anonymous.
- Receive a tax receipt for your donation.
- Have first right of renewal to continue supporting your suite at the end of your commitment.
Your financial investment can be $2,000 for one year, $3,500 for two years, or $5,000 for a three-year commitment.
If your community group, organization, extended family is interested in getting together and putting their energy into creating a comfortable, clean, and safe space for our clients to all home, consider adopting a one- or two-bedroom suite and committing some of your time to its upkeep.
Sonshine’s Resource Development Associate will be in touch with you one to three times per year when a family moves out to re-stock and stage the apartment you adopted before the next family moves in. You will be provided with a list of items needed so that you can coordinate shopping.
In general, each family coming into your adopted apartment will need some or all of the following new items:
- Bedding and linen
- Toiletry items (i.e., shampoo, toothpaste, etc.)
- Small appliances (i.e., toaster, kettle, coffee maker)
- Cleaning supplies (i.e., all-purpose cleaner, paper towels, etc.)
- Shower curtain and liner
- Cutlery, dinnerware, cookware
Click here for Adopt-a-Suite FAQs and more information.