The most dangerous time for an abused woman is when she attempts to leave her abuser. Emergency shelters in Calgary offer 21 days of support to women and children – but what is one to do on day 22?
This is where Sonshine Centre steps in
Given Calgary’s difficult rental market, and the poverty and danger many women experience upon leaving an abusive situation, they need a safe, affordable home where they can continue to heal from abuse and achieve personal goals. This is why we offer a full-year residential program, followed by six months of follow-up to help clients safely integrate back into their own place.
With 24 units, Sonshine Centre provides one-third of the second-stage shelter spaces for women and children fleeing violence in Calgary. We are the only second-stage shelter also offering space for women without children. Sadly, the number of women and families fleeing abuse is much greater than Sonshine can accommodate, so we must prioritize those who are assessed as being at the greatest risk for homelessness, injury or homicide.
Sonshine Centre is a secure facility located in a quiet neighbourhood with easy access to schools, transit, and community programs. Our dedicated and highly qualified staff, along with an amazing network of volunteers, walk alongside clients on their journey to healing and wellness.
We provide the following services to residents:
- Full year residential program
- Quality, safe and low-cost housing
- Individual counselling
- Individual goal setting and mentoring
- Life-skills groups
- Art and fitness group activities
- Parenting education
- On-site child care
- Counselling and play therapy for children
- Access to resources such as healthcare, addictions services, peer support and legal support
- ESL and language translation services as needed
- Practical support such as help navigating government support services, grocery runs, etc.
- Six months of follow-up counselling and support to safely transition back into the community after they leave Sonshine