Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters (ACWS)
ACWS is the unified voice of 42 member shelters. They offer a variety of resources to shelters and the public, including recent statistics and data, action-based research, and information for business and community involvement. ACWS also provides training opportunities for shelter leadership and staff.
Am I in an Abusive Relationship?
The following information sheets can help you determine if you are in an abusive relationship and what options are available to you.
- Self Quiz: Am I in an Abusive Relationship?
- Healthy Relationships Information Sheet (Government of Alberta)
- Women in Abusive Relationships Information Sheet (Government of Alberta)
Sonshine Community Services may not be your first stop on the road to overcoming family violence. Please also consider these resources.
Short-term emergency shelters for women fleeing violence:
- Peer Support Services for Abused Women
Offers peer-based individual mentorship as well as group programs
- Distress Centre Calgary
Provides crisis support through a 24 hour support line and professional counselling
- Calgary Street Survival Guide
Lists a variety of services available to challenged and low income individuals facing daily struggles in Calgary